Your safety is important to us.
Some Global Pride viewers will be watching in a country where being LGBTI+ is not easy, or even criminalised. Or they might not be ‘out’ to their family or friends. We have put together this guidance to help you watch as safely as possible.
Watching Global Pride 2020
- Use a safe browser such as Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla or Tor
- Make sure your browser is updated
- Make sure your browser plugins are updated
- Use your browser in “Privacy Mode / Private Browsing” or enable “do not track” in your browser
- Block pop-ups
- Use an ad blocker
- Use Disconnect to block advertisers and social media networks, such as Facebook and Twitter, from tracking which websites you visit
- Use a VPN to hide your IP address such as Proton, Windscribe, HideMe or NordVPN
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi.
- You don’t need to sign-in / log-in to watch Global Pride 2020 on our website or on Todrick Hall’s YouTube channel.
After watching Global Pride 2020
- Clear your history
- Clear your web browser cache and cookies
Engaging with Global Pride 2020 on social media
If you would like to use your social media profiles to engage with Global Pride 2020:
- Use a strong and UNIQUE password for each one of your social media profiles
- Use two-factor authentication when available
- Make sure you still have access to the email/phone number you registered when signing up
- Avoid password recovery questions such as “What city were you born in?” or “What is the name of your pet?”
- If being outed is a concern for you, change your profile setting to private. You could also consider not using LGBTIQ+ mentions and visuals from your bio
- Make sure your identity is concealed, and you are not using a username that refers to your legal name or to a nickname that may identify you
- Don’t agree to friend requests from people you don’t know on social media networks – people are not always who they say they are
In case of a social media anti-LGBTIQ+ cyber attack
- Do not engage with trolls; report them and invite others to report them
- Do NOT click on uninvited or suspicious links you receive in comments or in your inbox (DM). Some links could download a virus or collect your information. Verify links with senders you know. Ignore and delete links from senders you don’t know, or who don’t respond to you. Delete suspicious links from comments to protect your followers from inadvertently clicking on them.
- Ensure you have up-to-date antivirus and firewall protection.
- If the trolling intensifies, change your profile setting to private. You could also consider deactivating comments on posts.
- Remain calm and polite no matter what. Do not fall for provocation.
- Screenshot and record the trolls’ actions and messages. Report them repeatedly if necessary.
- Be responsible. Do not share information that you are not sure is correct. Imprecise information creates panic. Panic makes us more vulnerable to aggressions.
- Keep in mind that love is always stronger than misunderstanding and hate.
Global Pride 2020 will never ask for your real/legal name and for your password.
All Global Pride 2020 social media accounts are verified to help you find the right content to share. The links to the channels are:
- Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/GlobalPride2020/)
- Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/globalpride2020/)
- Twitter (https://twitter.com/globalpride2020)
- TikTok (https://www.tiktok.com/@globalpride2020)
Thanks to Hadi Damien, Beirut Pride, for writing this advice.